Shipwrecks and shipbuilding of Ulladulla
Shipbuilding commenced back in late 1830s on the foreshores of the Boat Harbour at Ulladulla. The shipwrights David Warden and Robert Gee also owned land on the foreshores of Ulladulla Harbour and were later join by David’s younger brother James Warden.
The building of many brigantines and schooners continued for two decades at Ulladulla, using local cedar and timbers from the surrounding woods. The timber transported to the harbour by bullock dray was also shipped to Sydney for trade. Shipbuilding was an activity seen at most ports and coastal rivers along the New South Wales coastline.
Even though Ulladulla has one of the safest harbours on the south coast, it still has played havoc for some ships sailing the coastline. The North and South reefs (bomborras) and Wardens Head (South headland) were the location of ship wrecks in the 19th century. The 13 ton schooner Susan was carrying tallows and hides, travelling from Bermagui to Sydney. She struck the Ulladulla Reef (South Bomboora) on 3 July 1849, there were seven passengers on board with no lives lost from this accident.
May 1851, the 21 ton Ketch Currency Lass was thrown up onto the Ulladulla beach, no lives were lost. John Russell of Sydney lost his 12 ton schooner Medina the following year sometime in June, in the Ulladulla Bight during a storm.
Shipbuilding and Shipwrecks Ulladulla
Tragedy at Sea: Shipbuilding and Shipwrecks – Ulladulla South Coast NSW to 1900
The South Coast enjoys a rich coastal environment and a marine and nautical heritage.
Valuable source of local historical material includes index and comprehensive reference list.
Now available as an ebook printable pdf 26 pages: Cost $10.00