Milton Village Green
The historic bank building (CBC and National Bank) at Milton NSW illustrates the quality and range of architectural styles employed in country areas during the 1870s, along with modern day restoration.
The Bank building was designed by J Dixon Chater in 1874. Other records state G. A Mansfield as the architect. The original building consisted of a bank and managers residence, with extensions in the early 1900s. It was the only bank in the region from 1903 ’til the late 1940s when the Bank of New South Wales opened an agency in Milton.
The first manager (1871 – 1874) of the Commercial Bank Co. was William Bodenham, after which one of the modern day Village Green Retail Cottages is named after.
The building today still features the Italianate details to the window surrounds and decorative parapet, and has retained most of its original internal detailing and external ornamentation.
This classic example of 1870s architecture is listed with the National Trust NSW, and reflects the growth of Milton township in the 1870s along with the Court House, The Settlement and Milton School.
The period style cottages are located in the centre of Milton Village Green and a grassed amphitheatre where children of clients visiting professional practices can play with perfect safety. Now available for rent Contact Graham Fisher Ph: 02 4455 4270- Mobile 0418 110 546