Milton Methodist Church
Both Henry Claydon and William Jinks donated adjoining lots of land in Crooybar Road to the Wesleyan Church. Original deeds dated 20 October 1856 were granted to James Sommerville as Trustee. In February 1857 the church community had a wooden building with a shingle roof was erected which could accommodate up to approx 150 people. It was the first church or place of worship erected in this district and cost £ 200.
The first known wedding performed at the Chapel was that of Robert John Garrad and Jane Booth on 17 Jan 1859. Robert was the eldest son of Robert and Sarah GARRAD nee Taylor. Jane was the daughter of Thomas Bonner and Jane Booth nee Stevenson. During March and April 1859 the local parishioners cleared and fenced the property surrounding the Chapel. They also purchased a horse for the minister. Rev Sommerville was then removed to the Shoalhaven but Ulladulla still formed part of his circuit and visited every month.
An addition of 12′ (feet) was made to wooden chapel in 1861. Plans for this extension started in September 1860 and were completed in February 1861 and a re-opening ceremony was held, progress reports appeared in the Illawarra Mercury.The surrounds of the Chapel had a great change in 1860. The township of Milton was born. The private township was established by John BOOTH.
© Cathy Dunn Extract from Methodist Church of Milton Ulladulla. Out of Print. Published by Cathy Dunn June 1994. ISBN 0 646 189387.