Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels and Social Support Services in Southern Shoalhaven
Ph: (02) 4455 2861 Email Us
Southern Shoalhaven Zone Meals on Wheels is a not for profit community organisation that delivers meals and provides social services to frail aged people and their carers.
The organisation is managed by a voluntary Management Committee which employees 4 permanent part-time staff and receives funding from the Australian Government under the Commonwealth Home Support Program to provide meal services and social support from Sussex Inlet to North Durras.
Meals on Wheels commenced over 40 years ago in the Milton-Ulladulla area and over the years meals have been supplied from Milton-Ulladulla Hospital, Sarah Claydon, local cafes, Sussex Inlet RSL Club and the currently at the Ulladulla office.
• Received funding and became a Cooperative in 1993
• Received funding to provide social support in 2004
• Relocated from the Milton Manse to the Multipurpose Building in Ulladulla in June 2006
- In 2008 we received a service award from NSW Meals on Wheels
- Our organisation received District Organisation of the Year 2009
• The Cooperative amalgamated the four services into one Incorporated Association in 2011
• Acquired a Lease for room 3 (formally CTC) in 2013 and renovated to provide a large open space for our social activities. The room is also available to rent, pending availability.
- In 2014 we celebrated 10 years of providing social support
- We were awarded the “Community Organisation of the year Winner” in the 2014 Community and Business awards by the Rotary Club of Milton Ulladulla
Milton-Ulladulla delivers frozen meals from an extensive menu on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with Sussex Inlet and Lake Conjola delivering only on Fridays. Milton-Ulladulla also provide a carers run which delivers frozen meals to eligible people who are unable to heat their own meal or are socially isolated. Milton-Ulladulla and Lake Conjola Meals on Wheels now also provide mini meals.
- Frozen Meals Order (pdf)
Home visits and accompanied outings
These are companionship visits to people who are socially isolated and lonely. Visits are undertaken by volunteers on a fortnightly or monthly basis and last for 2 hours per visit. Home visit activities include reading books, writing letters, playing games or just have a cuppa and a chat. Accompanied outings assist people to do things like attend local medical appointments, visit the cemetery, purchase that special gift or enjoy a cuppa in a local café.
our organisation coordinates three social groups which meet fortnightly in room 3, Ulladulla. Social groups operate from 10.00am to 2.00pm with Community transport organised for group members to be picked up and delivered home. People who attend enjoy a freshly prepared meal, company of others, a range of activities, outings and have a lot of fun.
Special Interest Groups
We operate three special interest groups which meet on a monthly basis, they are: visual impaired group, a craft group, and a scrabble group. Volunteers facilitate these groups and transport can be arranged to assist people to join in.
Interested in volunteering?
We welcome everyone who wishes to volunteer their time and skills. The organisation works because so many people are willing to support others in the community.
There are a wide range of activities that are available including:
- Home visiting – 2 hours per fortnight/month
- Accompanied outings – 2 hours per /fortnight/month
- Delivering of meals – 2 hours per month
- Social groups – 5 hours per fortnight/month
- Special interest groups – 2hrs per month
- Management Committee- 2hrs per month
Many people find volunteering a positive experience for themselves and the community.
If you are interested in volunteering please contact us on (02) 4455 2861
Manager: Julie Howe
Social Support Coordinator: Michelle Dugay
Accounts/ Food Services Co-ordinator- Vicki Love
Volunteer/Client Co-ordinator – Alison Nagle