Henry Claydon of Milton
b. 1810, Elsenham Essex England. Arr: Emma Eugenia 1838. Tried: Essex 1837, transported for 14 years. Crime: theft. TOL: 15 March 1844 and 46/538 Cassilis, SRNSW 4/4207 Reel 959.
Henry Claydon along with a fellow ex-convict William Jinks donated adjoining lots of land in Crooybar Road (Milton) to the Wesleyan Church, the original deeds, dated 4 October 1856 were granted to Rev. James Sommerville as Trustee. Soon after this, in Feb 1857 the church community had a wooden building with a shingle roof was erected which could accommodate up to approx 150 people. It was the first church or place of worship erected in this district and cost £ 200. Henry sold the land for £15 to the Wesleyan Parsonage for a Wesleyan minister residence today known as the Old Wesleyan Manse on the corner of Thomas St and Princes Highway Milton in 1865. In the New South Wales National Directory 1867 – 1868, Henry’s abode is listed as Ulladulla.
Henry CLAYDON b. 13 May 1810, Elsenham Essex England, Bap: 31 May 1810, Elsenham Essex CE Rites England, (son of Joseph Christie CLAYDON and Ann CLAYTON). m. 30 Nov 1845, in CE Rites Jervis Bay Shoalhaven NSW some records show Camden NSW, with government consent given for the marriage to Sarah Maria FAULKS, b. 13 Jan 1829, Dublin Ireland, Bap: 15 Feb 1829, Rillamntham Ireland, (daughter of John FAULKS and Mary YEOMAN) occupation Midwife, d. 23 Dec 1876, Milton NSW, Bu: 24 Dec 1876, Milton Methodist Cemetery NSW.
Sarah’s father John Faulks was a member of the 17th Foot regiment, who his young family moved to Coolangatta Shoalhaven in 1836 after his discharge. The Sarah Claydon Retirement Village at Milton is named after Sarah for her work she did as a midwife and nurse for the local community. Henry died 21 Jun 1880, Milton NSW, Bu: 22 Jun 1880, Milton Methodist Cemetery NSW.
Henry and his wife Sarah were in the Ulladulla district by 1851, when he purchased the first of his many land holdings, which included land at Cabbage Tree Flat Shoalhaven. They were both very strict members of the Wesleyan – Methodist church. In 1860, he donated £1.10 to the Shoalhaven River flood relief. On 1 Nov 1855 Henry took procession of 100 acres at Milton, the following year he built Claydon Park, which was later called The Pines.
When Henry died in 1880, he left the bulk of his estate to his half brother John Ingold of Little Forest, however there were some monies left to both Rachael [sic] Andrews formerly Claydon (his adopted Aboriginal daughter) and Emily Maria Claydon, daughter of Rachael [sic]. He left nothing to the children of Rachel’s by her marriage to James Andrews.
Extract from Masters & Convicts