Brief timeline of the Murramarang Aboriginal People
Europeans first saw aboriginal people in 1770 when Captain Cook and Joseph Banks
saw fire on the Murramarang Shores.
First European contact in the Shoalhaven with the shipwreck sailors of the Sydney Cove in 1797.
Aboriginals were camped at Ulladulla Harbour in 1828 when Rev. Thomas Kendall established white settlement in the district.
1829 Sketch of Ulladulla harbour featuring Aboriginals fishing from natural reef.
1832 aboriginal massacre at Murramarang
1832 – 1840 Aboriginals featured in convict overseers reports
1842 – 46, Joseph Townsend stories of local Aboriginals and the life style, fishing on Lake Burrill and barter between white settlers
1860s Death of local Aboriginals due to influenza
1870+ occupation of Aboriginal in local fishing & timber industry – timber mills (Ulladulla, Redhead etc).
1870+ Schooling of Aboriginal children.
1880s + Aboriginal Culture vs. Christianity.
1880 Aboriginals part of Ulladulla township – charged with drinking in Hotel after trading after hours these charges were also given to settlers of the district.
1890s establishment of the Aboriginal camp in Ulladulla
1891 – Journal of Legislative Assembly – Milton Ulladulla – 59 natives, 23 full blood, 36 mixed blood [sic].
1900 census shows four full blood & 63 half blood [sic]
1914 – 1918 local aboriginals served in WW1.
1930 Establishment & ownership of Racecourse reserve & Green St Ulladulla land.
1936+ Aborigines & Italian fishing community